Join Our Team
The Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians hires smart, energetic people who have experience with cross-cultural work.
If you think your talents might be a fit for us, please e-mail a thoughtful cover letter and a resume to Amanda Bergson-Shilcock (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 215-557-2825).
For information about volunteering, please see below.
Current Job Openings:
There are no current job openings.
Current Volunteer Skills Needed:
Interested in volunteering at the Welcoming Center? We offer a broad range of volunteer opportunities ranging from independent research projects to direct, one-on-one work with jobseekers. Past volunteers have contributed 4-30 hours per week, for periods ranging from a few months to several years.
If you would like to be considered for a general volunteer position, please send a resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest to Amanda Bergson-Shilcock at email@example.com or fax to 215-557-2825. Please note: Due to space limitations, we are unable to accommodate volunteer groups.
In addition to general opportunities, we sometimes have specific volunteer needs. Please see below.
ENGLISH OR GED TUTOR
Are you a well-organized, effective and dynamic person who likes helping others? As a volunteer tutor, you'll be able to apply your skills immediately, working with adults who are learning the English language skills necessary for living and working in our community. Tutors work one-on-one or in small groups with individuals who are learning English and/or preparing for the GED exam.
Tutors work closely with experienced instructors using established curriculum materials to meet students' individual listening, speaking, reading, math, and writing needs. Tutors must be able to commit from 3-6 hours per week and need to make a 10-week commitment. Classes meet at Olney Library and in Center City.
- Strong desire to improve the English language skills of students
- Sensitivity to cultural differences
- Patience, understanding, flexibility, and an unceasingly positive attitude
- Outgoing personality. Ability to meet challenge with enthusiasm.
- Ability to serve as a tutor/conversation partner for 3-6 hours a week for 10 weeks
- Fluency in English
To apply, submit your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this job to Desirée Welborn Wayne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BILINGUAL SMALL BUSINESS OUTREACH ASSISTANT
Are you a curious, friendly person who enjoys talking to people? Are you a “helper” who is interested in assisting immigrant business owners to succeed? Join our small business outreach work! You’ll work as part of a two-person team, walking commercial corridors in West and South Philadelphia build connections with immigrant and American-born business owners.
What skills we're looking for:
- Bilingual in Korean or Vietnamese (other languages considered as well)
- Interested in small business
- Commitment to respect for people from all racial, ethnic, cultural, and religious groups
Time commitment: 6-10 hours per week on a stable weekday schedule (to be mutually determined)
Do you have graphic design experience? From time to time the Welcoming Center needs quick-turnaround assistance with small graphic design projects that cannot be handled by our in-house staff or our usual graphic design firm.
These are generally 1-2 page flyers or announcements. They need to be simple, eye-catching, and very clear. The audience is people who have limited literacy and/or limited English skills. (See example: school registration flyer.)
If you're interested in donating a few hours a month, on an as-needed basis, please contact us and include a few samples of your work.
- Own computer and software (even MS Publisher is fine)
- Ability to download, manipulate and print fonts in languages other than English (you don't have to speak Chinese, but it helps if you can cut and paste a flyer, and respond to our edits)
- Keen eye for culturally sensitive design
- Experience finding and selecting culturally appropriate stock photos or Creative Commons-licensed photos
- Willingness to do small-scale projects on short notice, working from home or bringing your laptop into our office